Bananas Foster!

First I'm going to tell you that one of my New Year's resolutions is to go without sugar for a month...

...and then I'm going to tell you about the dessert I made on the last day before my resolution started, Bananas Foster! For those of you who don't know what Bananas Foster is, it's pretty much just bananas cooked in a caramel sauce...and then flambĂ©ed and served over ice cream! (ice cream optional, but c'mon who are we kidding?)

I used Alton Brown's recipe...kind of. I didn't use the spices or the banana liqueur or the orange zest...just because I didn't have half of those and the other half I don't like.


melt butter in a skillet
add brown sugar and stir it all up to start the caramel sauce
cut your bananas into four, once length-wise then in half
place them all on top of the caramel in the skillet, cook for one minute...
then turn once and cook for another minute
take just the bananas out of the pan and set aside
now it's time to add the rum...
and light it on fire!
it's fun!
it only takes a minute for the alcohol to burn up

then stir it all up and that's your sauce
Add bananas to ice cream and spoon sauce over all!
I totally forgot to take a picture of the finished dessert until we had already started eating and everything was pretty melty. After talking to my dad about the speed of the melting he told me I probably should have let the sauce cool down just a little bit before putting in on the ice cream.  But it was still delicious of course! And it was all pretty quick and easy :)

Comments

  1. yum! great new years dessert! thanks stef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks sooo good! Bananas Foster is the best! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment